Roy came round tonight with a queen in a cage and we briefly inserted into the colony in between 2 middle frames. Roy also added 3 frames that had some eggs as well as some brood and stores. We took the 3 worst frames out to dispose of.
He said to leave her 3-4 days and see if the bees have helped her to escape the cage. If they have then leave her and hopefully the bees will accept her.
You can then leave the colony for a week and then check to see the state of the frames and brood and hopefully there will be no more drone brood and then the colony can recover.
If this doesn’t work then there is very little to do – they have some eggs that they can covert into a queen cell and this gives the colony some hope.
The sad thing is that we had to dispose of our 3 frames that we took out. Adrian burnt them in the garden waste incinerator.