All posts by zozobanks

Inspection with Bee Buddy

Peter joined me today after our concerns from last week. He confirmed what we thought – we have no queen. He was unsure why we have last the new queen and why there was only queen cell. One of the indicators of being queenless is the amount of nectar being stored. His advice was to leave the colony for 3 weeks and then do an inspection- hopefully the queen will hatch and then mate with drones and start laying. If there is still no sign the we need either a frame of eggs or a frame with a queen cell.

He commented how they were a calm colony of bees especially given they have no active queen.

He also said we could take the honey off soon as they are unlikely to add much to the super given time of the season and the lower number of bees.

I aldo asked some advice about moving the dark brood frames – we moved 2 to the edge and hopefully on the next inspection there will be no brood and then I can put 2 new ones in.

Inspection

Today was not a great inspection

We found no eggs and very little larvae and very little capped brood but 1 capped queen cell. Despite adding the 3rd super they have done nothing with it but using brood cells to store honey. A bit worrying. We left the queen cell. Looks like they have either swarmed or the queen has not been very strong

We put the empty super closest to the brood box as I had read that you could do this although not what I recall my course advising.

Decided to email my bee buddy peter for some advice.

Inspection

Inspection today –  more relieved as saw eggs and larvae and some capped brood.  It is fair to say that there was lots and the increase in honey does not seem significant. The queen cells have opened.

Also the number of bees in the hive end stand were no where the number from end of April inspection. We did not see the queens that emerged last time.

 

 

Inspection

Inspection today – there was no eggs and larvae but a lot of capped queen cells. We destroyed all but 3 cells however as we destroyed some 2 had queens that emerged. We marked these 2 and placed them into the hive and see what happens.

There were still a lot of bees but certainly less than last time. I attempted an inspection on the 14th but withdrew as the bees were instantly more agitated. Also observations since have had bees carrying no pollen.

So so now we need to leave the bees some weeks to evolve and see what the new queens can do with laying brood. Fingers crossed.

Inspection

We did another inspection today.

Zoey again watched from the car.

Saw larvae and capped brood     There was a lot of drone brood so we destroyed the big clumps of them. Didn’t see as many eggs but this could have been because looking back I didn’t search as much.There are some of the frames that I need to move out as they are very old and dirty. I moved them to the edge and there were less brood so it may have worked.

There was a lot of bees and the whole of the outside of the brood box was covered in bees by the end – they were even hanging on the stand.

There were some practice queen cups again – swarming is likely but the extra super has helped with space.

Here are are some of Zoey’s photos.

Inspection

we did an inspection today – Zoey watched from the car with uncle Adam and auntie Alesha.

We saw everything we needed – eggs, larvae, capped brood and stores. There were a few practice queen cups and to be fair a lot of bees. I think there is a chance of swarming soon. We destroyed the cups and some drone brood that was on the bottom of the frames.

The super was also nearly full of honey so decided to put on the second super.

Good inspection overall and no issues.

First Inspection

Today was the first inspection of the hive. Adrian helped me and Zoey watched us from the car that was parked infront of the hive.

There were a lot of bees of each frame – we inspected every frame. There were 5 frames with brood and this included eggs, larvae as well as capped brood. There are 2 frames where the comb needs drawing out. There are 2 frames that are starting to look quite back and may benefit from being replaced – i could move them to the edge of the box and move the 2 frames that still need drawing out towards the middle.  There was some nectar and capped honey so feels that they have enough food so the icing was taken off .

We decided to add the super given the number of bees and frames with brood.

A good first inspection overall. We need to number the frames again to help with documenting what we see in the hive.

We didn’t see the queen however the fact we saw eggs and larvae is a good sign. There was not an excess of drone brood but 4 of the brood frames had comb being build on the bottom of the frames – a likely place for drone brood. We re moved this to minimise the number of drone brood.